Before, during, and hopefully after account of a Great Divide Route journey in the summer of 2010.

Friday, August 13, 2010

Back Home

The journey is complete, even though we didn't finish the official GDR.  We ended our trip in Estes Park, Colorado, home to Eagle Rock School, a high school where I did an internship about seven years ago.  It was a great place to end the trip, and it was closer to Minnesota than southern Colorado, making it easier on my mom when she came and picked us up.  She also loves camping, so we were able to bounce into Rocky Mountain National Park for a couple of nights and do some car camping.  It was pretty nice to not have to strategically pack up our stuff on the bikes when we left; we just threw it into the car.

It's interesting being back home...we arrived on Tuesday afternoon and within five minutes of being here, Nate said, "Let's get rid of the couch."

So we did.

We put it outside on the street this morning and someone came by and took it to its new home.  Our apartment is tiny, but after living with only 30 pounds of gear and 30 pounds of bike for nearly two months, all of our possessions here at home seem rather excessive.  I feel like scouring the entire place and donating at least half of what we own to Goodwill.  It's a good thing that there are about two weeks left until school starts back up again, so this actually may happen.

I went for a road bike ride last night because I was getting antsy being indoors.  The humidity here is incredibly unbearable, but I went for about 25 minutes.  I felt like I was on a toy bicycle--very unsteady and feeling like I was way, way too big for the bike.  Like I said a few months ago, the Fargo feels like I'm riding a tank, so my Specialized Allez felt flimsy.  But it was nice to get out and stretch my legs.

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys, it's Tim (the GDR biker you met in Lima). Glad to see you had a successful trip! I finished in Whitefish towards the end of July, then hopped an Amtrak train back to Minneapolis. What a Journey. It was so nice to meet you both! Thanks for the good advice and stimulating conversation. Come on up to Duluth sometime! We've got lots of gravel roads here ;)

    Here's my photo album, if you are interested.

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=230901&id=661115808

    ReplyDelete