Before, during, and hopefully after account of a Great Divide Route journey in the summer of 2010.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 6: Sparwood to Fernie

(I forgot to reset the cyclometer)
Ride time: ~3 hours
Average: ? mph (we hauled ass)
Distance: ~20 mi

It was a quick but chilly ride into Sparwood this morning, and much to our dismay, the library is closed on Mondays.  Lame.  We found a place to eat breakfast and decided to book it to Fernie, a short 20 mile ride.  It was actually a pleasant ride after I got a flat and took 40 minutes to repair it.  Ed and I patched the flat while Nate changed the tube.  At least it wasn't raining, eh?  I love Canadians.

Just as an aside, Hwy 3 from Sparwood to Fernie is a miserable road--it's a narrow shoulder, trucks hauling wicked smelling livestock OR giant trees are flying by and really could care less that there are bikers on the shoulder, and there's tons of debris, which is how I probably got a flat...

The three of us drafted off each other quite a bit on the ride since there was a significant head wind.  I felt a bit like the Tour de France riders.  It was about noon when we pulled into Fernie.  Nate and I are staying at the Powder Mountain Lodge for $59 a night.  They have laundry on the premises and Nate talked the guy into letting us bring the bikes into the room, stating that he'd clean them up first (and man, do they ever need cleaning--the mud is everywhere).

Cleaning up the bikes

6 comments:

  1. I BELIEVE THERE HAS BEEN AMPUTATION!!! :) I hope you are having a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMPUTATION!!! Hope you are having an amazing trip! Now it will be even that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you guys! Sounds like your burning mucho calories. Hope you are eating good. I didn't know there were 3 of you? Thinking of you every day.
    Love gert and pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God! The Powder Mtn Lodge looks spectacular!! Moose! How wet and wild. Wish we could be there...but your words will do nicely for now. Keep us posted. Missing you guys and imagining your smiling faces kissed by sunshine and sweet mountain air.

    Stay warm and eat well, and all else will be easy.

    Love, Brady and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you guys are having the time of your life. If you are lucky, Moss Man will visit you. Happy birthday, sister, and I was thinking about you all day on June 17th. I hope we can talk to each other soon. I love you, and Shad and I are having fun reading your blog. Blogirrhea!

    ReplyDelete