Before, during, and hopefully after account of a Great Divide Route journey in the summer of 2010.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Transportation Change

It turns out that you cannot rent a car in the United States and do a one-way drop off in Canada.  I became painfully aware of this Saturday afternoon as I was trying to arrange our transportation from Milwaukee to Banff.  This is ridiculous.  Nate and I spent a few hours trying to figure out alternatives to getting to Banff (we looked into riding the train, and I even went so far as to look at craigslist to buy a beater SUV and then we'd ditch it or try to sell it in Canada), and the best we could come up with was a one way rental of some crappy mid-sized sedan with Hertz to Calgary for over $1,000.  LAME.

We let the problem sit and went out last night to forget about the snafu.  We went out with some friends and one of them started asking Nate and I about the bike trip.
Peter: "So I hear your headed on a big bike trip really soon?  When are you leaving?"
Me: "Well...um...we're hoping to leave Saturday morning, but as of right now, we can't secure a rental car."  I explained the problem concerning international car rental rules and regulations.  On a whim, I said, "Wanna take a road trip out there with us?"
Peter: "Serious??!?  Like Banff, Canada??  I wrote a paper about that place my sophomore year in high school, and I've always wanted to go!  I even have a Prius!"
I can't believe this conversation is really happening, and it turns out that he's a teacher as well and has the summer off, so he's able to give us a ride out there and see Banff at the same time.

As of right now, we're still on schedule to leave MKE Saturday morning, but now we have 3 drivers, some company, and a great this-world-is-way-bigger-than-me story to tell.

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca Currier-Long and Brady LongJune 16, 2010 at 9:58 PM

    How awesome!!! Your on the journey!!! When do we hear from you two next!???? I miss you both already...where are you. How was the night. We're keeping the hearth warm for you and sending rays of sunshine to pour on you. Love from Iowa and the Straits of Mackinaw. LOVE MOM and BRADY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca and Brady; Annebelle and MiloJune 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM

    HAPPYYYYY BIRTHDDAAAYYYY TOOOO YOOOUUUU!!! Lovin and huggin from Mom and Brady. Sending you dry weather, blue skys, extra energy and bear-free dinners :)xoxo

    ReplyDelete