Before, during, and hopefully after account of a Great Divide Route journey in the summer of 2010.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 21: Deadman's to Helena

Ride time: 4:44
Average: 8.8 mph
Distance: 41.81 mi

We awoke at a reasonable hour after having slept really well.  Nate said it was because of the happy cow that was near our tent.  I think the presence of cows helps me in the bear department.  Cows = probably no bears.  I'm probably wrong, but it helps me sleep better.  PowerBars or Clif Bars for every meal is Nate's newest thing, so I forced myself to eat my 7th PowerBar in less than 18 hours.  "We'll eat when we get to Helena," Nate said after I whined.

Anyway, today was another 2 divide crossings (#3 and #4).  It felt like we were biking forever today.  We saw a couple of old mines which were pretty cool:

Oh yeah, Nate's mileage today is an additional 4 miles because he left his sunglasses up near the first pass and had to bike back to get them.  I, of course, stayed and made lunch instead of biking back with him.  I'm such a good wife...

I also fell today going about 3 mph.  I just kind of tipped over.  I'm not exactly sure what happened, other than I'm eternally grateful for my helmet.  When we arrived in Helena, we called Kris (remember Lincoln?) and she put Nate and me up for the night.  Before we got there though, we ate at Taco del Sol, on Last Chance Gulch in downtown Helena.  Bikers: definitely hit it up.

We got to Kris's house, and Patti and Dennis came over, too, for dinner.  It was a wonderful time, and Nate and I ate dinner again because Chris made meatloaf, and I couldn't pass that up.

Our wonderful hosts, Chris and Kris, in the Valley, not the Flatland:


No comments:

Post a Comment