Before, during, and hopefully after account of a Great Divide Route journey in the summer of 2010.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 30: Lima to Upper Lake (Red Rocks Lake NWR)

Ride time: 5:15 Average:  10.5mph
Distance:  55.6 mi

Ouch.  A big mileage day all on crappy gravel roads.  I'm so glad to be off the bike!!  After breakfast (oatmeal and peaches), we packed up our room at the Mountain View Motel, and I went back to the post office with the bounce box.  The postal lady was actually very kind this morning (and so was I--I'm not allowed to carry resentments, right?), so that was nice.  And bonus--my sister, Mary, sent us a care package that included three bags of outstanding homemade chocolate chip cookies, a motivational note (in complete Mary style), and a Mother Jones magazine.  Oh, and she decorated the outside of the box in a series of bizarre pictures, which led me to explain to everyone in the post office that my sister is just 18 months younger than I am and is also a professional; she's not a young child, which everyone assumed.

We then set out on what I consider a rather unattractive ride.  It was a high altitude plain, nestled in between treeless sage-carpeted hills.  At one end were wetlands, and the other end was all ranch land for cattle.
Shade?  Let's eat lunch.

Speaking of cattle, they're really funny.  They're super interested in us bikers.  In fact, they'll get up from their naps to get a good look at us.  They could care less about cars, but they seem apprehensive about 2-wheeled folk.

Here stands a pronghorn, staring us down:
The campsite is at the bottom of an avalanche chute... Hmmm....
We finally rolled into the wildlife refuge and were consumed by mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment